Sovos Statutory Forums  

Go Back   Sovos Statutory Forums > Accounting > General
Forgot your password?

Old 09-23-2023, 01:35 AM

Prospective vs Retrospective effective interest method

Hello,
We are considering changing our retrospective application of "effective interest rate amortization" to prospectively applying the same amort calculation method on variable rate securities, such as CLOs. We have found GAAP guidance under ASC 250-10-45-17 and 18 that has examples of the change in depreciation/amortization method on non-financial assets to be considered as "change in estimate" and such change affects current period and(or) future periods only, implying prospective application.
Our question is whether our case of amortization of CLOs would fit under the "change in estimate" guidance, or is it a case of "change in principle"? If it's latter, then we'd have to calculate the impact retrospectively. Also, curious whether STAT has clear guidance surrounding "amortization application on financial assets"?

Please let me know if you have any questions or need any further detail. Appreciate any insights on this matter.

Thank You,
Sujatha
Old 09-24-2023, 01:55 PM
Booke Seminars

Hi Sujatha,

I'm not expert on CLOs so I checked with our other instructors and unfortunately we are not familiar with the aspects of that asset class that might impact the correct application of the rules. We suggest reviewing your accounting treatment with your auditors.

Regards,
Lisa Mullen

Tags
amortization, clo, constant yield method, retrospective, variable rate securities